Renaming of two schools

Built in 1926, the school was originally P.S. 47, an elementary school. Over the years, the name has been changed to “47” The American Sign Language and English Lower School and “47” The American Sign Language and English Secondary School, representing two schools.

The “47” Alumni board, administrators and School Leadership Team have proposed to the New York City Board of Education that the school be renamed to the following:

“47” The American Sign Language and English Lower School: “47” The American Sign Language and English Bilingual School. The school no longer teaches only up to fifth grade; it now teaches pre-kindergarten through eighth grades. Furthermore, the new name gives more meaning to the fact that the school uses both American Sign Language and English for instruction.

“47” The American Sign Language and English Secondary School: “47” The American Sign Language and English High School. The school no longer has a middle school; it now goes from ninth through twelfth grades.

We hope to receive the Board of Education approval in time for school’s start this fall.

A Special Note: The acronym, “ASL” in the school names should be spelled out as American Sign Language, since this website shows acronym has a listing of 116 definitions.  Also, ASL is also often used as an acronym for American Soccer League.  People need to see that ASL, a distinct, cultural and linguistic identity among Deaf people, and English are used equally and bilingually at school.

______________________________________________________________
Page last updated July 28, 2014