School and Alumni Logo and Insignia over the Years

Over the years, our logo and insignia has been symbolic of the school’s history. The number “47” comes from when 47 Deaf students entered P.S. 47 for the first time in 1908. To this day, “47” remains.


1925

The first logo, in 1925, shows students going to P.S. 47.


1941

This 1941 logo was from the first edition of 47 Speaks, the school newsletter.


1958

This logo from 1958 was designed by art teacher Mae Schaette for the Handbook for Junior High Pupils.


1980

This logo was designed during the 1980′s by Jody Blank (left ’59) for the “47” Alumni Newsletter.


1983

This 1983 logo was designed by Robert Bergman, ’71 for the 75th Anniversary Journal.


1988

This logo was designed by art teacher, Patricia B. Sherwood for the 80th Anniversary Journal.

This drawing was designed by Jody Blank (left ’59) for the back cover of the 80th Anniversary Journal.


2008

Our current logo was designed by John Garbera, ’53 for the 100th Anniversary Journal and the alumni’s letterheads and newsletters


2013

kasherinsignia1

Original Insignia for “47” Alumni Polo Shirt designed by De’VIA artist Hinda Kasher
(Former 8th Grade student 2003)


2014

47Insignia2014Insignia for “47” Alumni Polo Shirt redesigned by De’VIA artist Hinda Kasher
(Former 8th Grade student 2003)

_______________________________________________
Page last updated: September 19, 2014